Murphy's Laws of Bantuistics
Of course, like other Murphy's laws, this is informal
, and pessimistic
It's just for fun! You can have yours added!
- If the language you study or describe seems difficult, you think all the others are easier.
- If the language you study or describe seems easy, you think the others are more interesting.
- You may always find higher than a high tone, unless you let it down!
- As long as optimality is just a theory, we aren't in an optimal situation!
- If you think there is one dialect, you think there are more.
- Every morphological or tonal rule breeds new ones.
- When you've found the border between a dialect and another one, it's already far behind you.
- You will always find questions for your informant.
- When checking a rule with your informant, you will never get the expected answer.
- Try to introduce a basic vocabulary using a basic vocabulary. Not so easy! ...